Thursday 18 September 2008

Knotted Rosary


While surfing for new knotting project ideas I came across this Knotted Rosary over at www.rosaryarmy.com. Now I'm not Catholic and really, I have no use for a Rosary but as a project, it struck me as rather an attractive thing. So, here's my attempt. It's one continues length (4 metres) of bricklayers twine, about 1.5mm thick. The cross is another seperate project. What I like about it, is the whole thing is knotted. No clips, clasps, eyelets or accessories are needed. It took about 4 hours to complete. Mainly because it was my first try but also because a couple of the knots are tricky and when a knot didn't look right I had to undo it and try again. This happened quite a lot. If you want to have a go, check out Rosary Army's video and detailed PDF instructions below it.

I found it very interesting reading through the use and importance of the rosary. There are 60 individual knots on it. These are made up of 3 different knots. They are called the Hail Mary, Our Father and Centrepiece. I think these knots are called something else in knotting books but I can't work out what. Let me know if you do.

1 comment:

danielgreen said...

het dude congrats on your new blog i read your comment on SD blog

once again congrats

Bight - any curved section, slack part, or loop between the two ends of a rope, string, or yarn.